5.09.2006

Getting Bigger

A few of my students have been growing their hair and picking it into a small fro. They just keep the pic in their hair, kinda like a hair clip. Well, one of them was chillin' pickin' his hair during the warm-up* and I said, "It's gettin' pretty big." He didn't really say anything, a slight acknowledgement was all, but I could tell he was pleased, he smiled and just seemed to be glad that I had noticed and said it was big. In reality, it's still pretty small, but compared to a week ago it's a lot bigger.

*Some teachers hate that students do their hair in class. I see it like this. Boys tend to need something else to do, doodle, beat on the desk/wall/floor, play with pencil, etc. So if a kid witha pic in his hair can focus better on a test or an assignment, more power to him. Brushing your hair is different, that is much more distracting. The longer it gets the more distracting it is.

No comments: