1.31.2006

Are women biologically better mothers then men?

I'm not really sure how you could say no. Women have milk for babies to drink, men don't. I think that's biological.

This class is the best class I've taken yet. It's logical, pertinent, and logical. Gender Issues in Teaching Math and Science with Dr. Spears. Good. I learnt about Title IX tonight.

Prohibition against discrimination; exceptions. No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance, except that:


Title IX's whole purpose is to create equal oppotunities for men and women. Any school that recieves federal money has to follow Title IX. It goes for admissions, scholarships, organizations, athletics, and some others. Athletics is where it seems to be the biggest. Women need to have equal opportunities to compete. But, in contact sports (like football, wrestling, basketball, hockey...) women do not have to be allowed to participate. Instead, an alternative must be offered. So any school that allows coed contact sport teams does so voluntarily.

But class is fun, interesting and I'm glad it's at 7:05 and not 4:30. It's hard to make it to 4:30 classes from JC.

2 comments:

Crunch said...

My wife is a better mother than I am... no doubt. The ability to breast feed pretty much made that a fact from day 1.

In somethings I am more protective of my daughter, and some people denote that as a "maternal" trait. I would categorize is as a parental trait however.

Irene said...

I'm biased, but my personal opinion is woman are not only biologically better parents but usually emotionally better parents not to mention it may be 2006 but women are raised to be expected to be better, more patient parents. I know some men who are better or just as good a parent the moms, but I know many many many more moms who are better parents than the dads. personal survey of years of raising kids and seeing kids raised.