4.07.2006

Tornado Sirens?

Yesterday we had some pretty bad weather. Shannon has a couple of posts about it if you want to see the radar and stuff. Here and here and here. I knew we were supposed to have a storm because of the forcast, but I didn't see the radar until I got home. There were two really big, tornado producing storms north-west and south-east of us. So it looked like Manhattan might be okay. Then a third storm, headed right for us popped up in the middle and came right at us. Shannon and I grabbed our cameras and headed towards Konza by the scenic outlook.

There were about 3 storm-chaser vehicles (with car magnets, whirly things, and all) there. Shannon got out to look at the storm and take some pics and his hat flew off. It was really windy. Well, I got out too and Shannon and I watched the storm rain on distant locations and move quickly towards us. This picture makes it look really bad out (and it was pretty bad). Meanwhile in Manhattan, Shannon and I were safely watching the storm approach, the tornado sirens went off. Apparently the north storm came more south and had tornado with it. Scary. Jenette had to go to the the "shelter" at work (the on-campus day care).

Well our safety didn't last long. Out of the 60+mph winds came 2 rain drops and then 3/4" to 1" hail! No warning, just hard ice balls flying into things and sounding very damaging! Shannon ran to the car and I jogged. I wasn't fast enough. I got pelted 3 times, the head, stomach, and wrist. Then I ran pretty quick and jumped in. Ouch!
Here is the hail.And here is my welt! I'm so dumb. Learn from my lesson, hail outside and you outside? You run to not outside. It still is red today. But I'm fine.

After about 2 1/2 minutes of intense hail and 82mph winds, it calmed down, except for the wind, and we drove home. It was pretty scary. The hail hit our car hard, nothing broke, but that could be because Shannon angled the car so that the hail hit at an angle instead of dead on.

Fun times.

4 comments:

Tuba Queen said...

You guys crack me up, I showed all your pictures at work. OWY!! Nikki. No wonder Pea-Wee was worried about her car, I would hve been too. Thank goodness I have a garage. WOW!! I love you'se guys so much, you two and your camera. But ya know what, if it weren't for you guys, we wouldn't see such cool and fun pics of stuff.

The Math Ninja said...

The hail wasn't strong enough to damage cars (I don't think). But it was pretty neat.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had to go thru that hailstorm. I'd eant to share a blog I've found. Maybe it will help you in the future. Here it is:

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/

and the one about tornado is:



http://tornadosafety.blogspot.com/2006/04/tornado-safety-learn-how-to-survive.html

Irene said...

Oh my poor little girl. Your welt looks painful. That hail looks pretty big! I'm glad you are not really hurt. You could have been. I hope it is gone now. I love you Nicole and you have to stop getting boo boos please!!